Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"X" Marks The Spot

I wanted to post about some of our weekend happenings yesterday but I didn't want to take away from the birthday post for Chef Ed. So, today, I will spill the beans.

First, let me explain that I AM NOT A TATTOO KIND OF GIRL - one that likes the attention drawn to her while someone admires her ink'd up body. I have seen some really impressive jobs on other folks and I have never really had a longing to inflict pain upon myself. The thought of pain in itself was enough to keep me steered far away from any tattoo parlor.

Over the last year or so, Chef Ed and I talked about him getting something significant to mark his 50th birthday. We did tons of online searching geared toward something that piqued his interest. We finally came to an agreement on what and where we thought it should go.

Moving on to me. As most of you know, my brother suffered 6 longs years of colon cancer before finally losing his life to it last November. During that 6 year time period, he had 4 bouts of recurrences. After the second recurrence, we talked about getting a tattoo of the Greek Evil Eye. Sadly enough, we were never able to make that happen.

The Greek Evil Eye is something of significance to folks of Greek decent and it's meaning comes from old legends stating that it keeps you safe from harm and it wards off evil spirits. I actually have one hanging in my window at my house as do my parents. My brother was strong in our heritage and we actually buried him with a Greek Eye placed in his hand. It was something that meant a lot to him.

I knew that if getting a permanent mark on my body was to ever take place, it would have to be small, unnoticeable by anyone else but me, and something that was sentimental in value. The Greek Eye it was. I spent hours online and could not find anyone that had ever had this done and had it posted on the internet. I finally made an appointment with House of Ink near our home and consulted with the owner. I told him my story and he arranged a meeting with Traci, an artist, to discuss details.

Saturday morning was the day. I made an appointment for Traci to work her magic on myself and Chef Ed. I was VERY nervous and really felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb in that place. They really went out of their way to make me feel comfortable and assured me that everything would be clean and sterile (my OCD was at it's finest).

I will end by saying that the placement of the evil eye was over my heart, covered by my bra strap. It was placed there knowing that my brother, even though unleashed from his earthly bonds and rejoicing in heaven, will always remain in my heart. It serves as a constant reminder that that my 15 minutes of minimal discomfort was really a small sacrifice. I have no regrets.


We thought this may be true so we tipped well!

Chef Ed in the tattoo chair. Cuteasabutton. (I may have been throwing up some where because my nerves were out of control! I'm such a girly girl - waaayyy beyond my control and he let Traci know that while I was out of the room.)


The cross with the crown of thorns surrounding it was a perfect choice for him. It looked so neat and clean as if she took a sharpie marker and drew it on there. Amazing!

And finally, the Greek Evil Eye. Sorry for the graphics. I was kind of bloody for some reason. This picture actually looks much larger than it really is. It's only the size of a quarter.
Please note: I was able to keep my dignity by wearing my pearls that day. I can assure you that I was the only one wearing a pearl necklace and earrings in a tattoo parlor.


No comments:

Blogger Design