Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Way Back Wednesday - With A Twist

When I think of something "way back," I think of things that bring memories - good and back to mind.

My Way Back Wednesday post is going to take a little turn today. It's going to consist of some negative thoughts with a dash of pleasant in the mix.

I'm going to tell you about my best friend. Yes, I love her and would do anything in the world for her but she is the poster child for a 'fair weather friend."

Rhonda and I have grown up together and have shared lots of valuable moments together. We had our first boyfriends at the same time, we drank beer together for the first time, and some of the best moments of my teenage and college years were spent with her. She became really more like a sister to me than a best friend.

Unfortunately, I have seen a change in behavior over the last few years. Depression is pronounced in her family. Her mother committed suicide when Rhonda and I were in our early 20's and I really think that she has never gotten over that. Rhonda went on to get married to someone I approved of, went to nursing school, had two children (my Godchildren) and she does very well, financially, for herself and her family. On the outside, they resemble the All American Family, but on the inside, they are nothing sort of a train wreck.

Through the years, our lives have taken different roads. I had my girls early on and my days of raising babies were through by the time her little ones came along. I began to see some reclusiveness in her social life and she never had anything positive to say about anything during our brief conversations. I am ashamed to admit that I can hardly stand talking to her because she is such a negative vibe at times. Is that wrong of me to feel that way??

I have tried to talk to her with honesty. She decided to take medication some time ago but I am not seeing a great improvement. For the most part, I am really concerned because depression is a serious illness and should not be taken lightly. It's even worse when the person that you love doesn't recognize it to be that way.

The point of my post today is this: It's a growing concern to me that people are always seeing the cup of live half empty. Is it society's fault that so many people are falling victim to mental health issues. Or....are they not seeking help and fulfilment in the right areas?

At the end of the day, if you don't value yourself; you violate yourself.

I have decided that I will remove myself from negative energies that support behavior of this kind. You can't fix it if you don't recognize that it's broken.

No comments:

Blogger Design