Thursday, November 19, 2009

And It Just Keeps Going and Going....

When I say "it" just keeps going and going.....I am referring to life in general.

Last weekend, we received a call early Saturday morning that Chef Ed's mom had fallen in the middle of the night and broke her hip. It was that dreaded phone call that we had anticipated we would received. My initial thoughts went back to my old hospital days of working with elderly patients (Chef Ed's mom is 85) and how slow their recovery was after traumatic injuries such as this one.

We have been trying to decided when to travel back home because it's 8 hours away and we have business commitments tieing us down here. A roller coaster of emotion was in place. Over the last week, her surgically repaired broken hip has had to take the back seat at a heart issue has surfaced and needs immediate attention. Without the heart working; we won't have a hip to worry about. First things first. A heart cath is scheduled for this morning and we are packing our stuff and planning to leave on Saturday.

That ole' feeling in the pit of my stomach is there. Sad. Sad for the thought that this is a beautiful lady that has always loved me and welcomed me into her family since day one. She kisses me and hugs me like the rest of her children and she never ever fails to say "thank you" when we part. Things don't look well and I have a bad feeling that this is the beginning of the end. The last time I saw her, we rocked in rocking chairs on the porch at the beach and she reminded me, again, of what a wonderful life she had experienced. I think that helps me crack a smile in knowing that she really puts the meaning into "living life to the fullest."

In the meantime, around Thanksgiving, I always try to look upon the good in life. Even though life doesn't always go as planned, I have always felt strongly in knowing that I have been blessed beyond belief.

I pray for Chef Ed and his family. I pray for peace that surpasses all understanding.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself." Matthew 6:34.

No comments:

Blogger Design